'Dead Like Me' back as a series?

Ellen Muth Answers your Questions here
caitlinross78
antispam: No
The middle number please (3): 3

'Dead Like Me' back as a series?

Postby caitlinross78 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:41 am

Hi Ellen,

I just finished watching the second season of 'Dead Like Me' and I got very teary at the last episode. This is the second time I've watched the series, but I still feel just as robbed that the show was canceled just as everything was coming together. It had turned into a brilliant, brilliant show. I only just now discovered the release of the movie in February, and hear talk of more movies or even bringing the show back! Is this really a possibility? That would make me the happiest girl!

Thanks to you and the rest of the cast and crew for making my first year in vet school a lot easier to handle.

Sincerely,

Caitlin
(an upstate New Yorker in Sydney, Australia)

Psymen
Knows About Jane

Re: 'Dead Like Me' back as a series?

Postby Psymen » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:43 am

I doubt that there will be a season 3 of Dead Like Me, but have you watched the movie? Dead Like Me: Life After Death? It should answer some of your questions. And Welcome to the forums, I hope you'll enjoy it here.. ;-)

ScottPatrickPomroy
Burnt By The Superfire

Postby ScottPatrickPomroy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:11 pm

I don't know about a series but maybe just maybe there could be another movie on the drawing board sometime in the future or even better a mini-series but best of all would be season 3, season 4, season 5, etc.

To help make this happen goto IMDB.com and rate DLM and DLM:LAD. If you were in the US or know how to mask your IP you could do the same at HULU.com.
Allonsy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott Pomroy
PFF Productions/Stage Trip Films
Prodcuer/Director/Writer
Serving Philadelphia, PA and surrounding areas
(302)367-0349

Thomas
Young Selena

Postby Thomas » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:26 pm

Psymen - those negative thoughts won't bring it back! You need to think positive!

There will be a 3. season of Dead Like Me!
George: Why do I keep losing all the things and people that I care about?
Rube: That's what life is, Peanut.

Joy: Georgia Lass, you cannot spend your entire life with your nose stuck in a book!
Young George: Try me.

DB7878
Marked by the Beast

Postby DB7878 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:24 pm

With all this enthusiasm (i.e. money) sloshing around the vampire themes in movies and TV, the bigger danger is that DLM will come back, but as something jarringly disturbing for original fans.

We're at the stage where the suits want their cash cow vampire franchise whatever - it has to be the same, but different. Why did Moonlight not work so well, while True Blood and Twilight and now The Vampire Diaries exploded. There are people whose jobs depend on pondering these issues late into the night.

Once this vampire thing wears thin - variations on the undead will come back - probably all with a romantic twist. We had an interesting one that failed - New Amsterdam, and we'll see more. DLM is an intriguingly different twist on immortality and the undead themes, but it's gaping hole is no romantic theme.

MGM owns DLM and as it's legal and financial situation gets clarified (which is likely to happen very quickly once the process breaks out) the idea of bringing it out for another round will occur to someone.

However, it's unlikely they would be satisfied with the old DLM type of ratings reception (while good it didn't create the stir i.e. money they're looking for). Making another DLM movie they can predict very accurately what kind of return will be generated and it wouldn't likely be a break thru money maker.

As an alternative it's possible someone will come up with a new setting and new characters with an adjusted tone to boost ratings. They already did something like this with the LAD Movie. Herek was very open about his tweaking the franchise from the original to keep the old audience and attract new. It's very unlikely this was all hidden from MGM and more likely it was an attractive selling point.

But something with a strong romantic twist at the center is more likely.

Maybe (I'm just brainstorming) instead of centering on the sister relationship - George and Reggie - they will have one half of a hot very much in love couple die and become a reaper stationed near the other. So instead of the temptation being to help a sister, it would be to get back together and 'interact' with the living half - forbidden love in the DLM universe, and it would open up some new opportunities story telling tension.

The reaper side would look different to the living half so the slow reveal of the reaper true identity could last until at least Halloween. A normal life would be impossible - no marriage or kids - not to mention the PTB frowning upon any interaction at all. One grows old the other can't.

Could be very worth watching - not the old DLM, but the next post alienated teenager DLM. An old DLM fan might go into shock tho.

A-Jaxxx*
Marked by the Beast

Postby A-Jaxxx* » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:16 am

Georgia's last words.

'It's not so bad....when your dead like me....'

Imagine, playing a character and getting attached to it, only to be stopped. You come back years later, and you get this hopeful kind of hunch in you that for sure, you can have it all back, that it will be like just the days of the series, like the feeling you got from the first time stepping into it and making the pilot episode. Again, no avail. Leaves you with frustration, disappointment you try to move on, misleading media portraying you in a deceptive way, you end up explaining yourself, but somehow it doesn't sink as fast as the crap appeared...ecetra ecetra....You get flooded with memories from before and try to make it a good thing, not back when, try to move ahead.
Then, you have no-talent poorly written hyped up shows about 'vampires' that are very corny, pompous, dumbed-down STILL visibly ignorant portrayals of 'Wicca' & other made up BS, and the over exploitative over-use of 'sex', using young teen stars, who will be forgotten tomorrow by their own doing, theres just no lessons the media is overtaken by trash tv. Then, you give it up,have to walk away from that....and start over with something new again, try to reinvent. All that, all together is not easy the least bit in hindsight, manageable, not easy. I'm just speaking roughly, quickly here,

If you must know, how this looks' through the actor's eyes.

DB7878
Marked by the Beast

Postby DB7878 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:48 pm

AJ, I think you captured that point of view - nailed it.

Sometimes it can be as hard to learn to live with / let go our past successes as it our failures.

aric93

Postby aric93 » Sun May 16, 2010 1:54 pm

I think that there shouldn't be a season 3 or another movie unless it can be done well and in the spirit of the original series.

DB7878
Marked by the Beast

Postby DB7878 » Sun May 16, 2010 7:21 pm

aric93 wrote:I think that there shouldn't be a season 3 or another movie unless it can be done well and in the spirit of the original series.

I couldn't agree more.

Let's hope they get it right next time.

ScottPatrickPomroy
Burnt By The Superfire

Postby ScottPatrickPomroy » Wed May 19, 2010 5:27 am

DLM is done. If they bring it back then it will be a reboot or a spinoff. Ellen is way too old now. We should support her for other roles since she only seems to get casted for supernatural roles. Read my post here and I bet you all might agree with because it's about time we see her talent somewhere else besides in the realms of the supernatural.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12&p=11366#p11366
Allonsy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott Pomroy
PFF Productions/Stage Trip Films
Prodcuer/Director/Writer
Serving Philadelphia, PA and surrounding areas
(302)367-0349

bing10
Knows About Jane

Postby bing10 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:09 pm

I agree with you.It's time for Ellen to use her talents in other ways.I've thought for a long time that she would be great in a modern day type of silent movie,like a Buster Keaton or a Chaplin type of movie. With her quick movements and odd humor,I think that she would fit that character perfectly.

maverick
Burnt By The Superfire
The middle number please (3): 5

Postby maverick » Tue May 25, 2010 7:49 pm

DLM is probably dead as a series. It has been to many years since season 2 ended. Ellen is to old now for a continuation of her roll, the other actors are also older for their rolls. I would like to see another movie produced explaining what happened to all the former reapers. The movie would have all new reapers and story lines. If the movie caught on then consideration for a season one could be in the cards. I guess the movie would be considered a new pilot.

Ellen has not only talent in comedy but is a excellent dramatic actress. I refer to movies such as The Truth About Jane, Two Against Time, and others. I certainly hope she gets the chance to display her acting talents in future.

Tom
Like George, I too...."Excell at not giving a s**t."

Lemon87

Postby Lemon87 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:50 pm

Just finished watching all DLMs. So sad there wasn't a season 3... as everyone can probably relate.
It was nice that a film came out. It shows a strong fan base, even though the show ended so long ago.

I think DLM should be resurrected as a mini-series (films are too short), with (possibly) Ellen taking over Mandy's position - and starting off much like the pilot, that one of the original reapers performs their last reap, making space for fresh blood. It will be difficult to keep the story in its original spirit, but I'm sure that the talented writers could come up with something. Plus Britt's involvement could be increased.

Let's hope for the best. In all cases - great show - nothing will ever change that.

PS: Looking forward to Margarine Wars - trailer looks promising.

DB7878
Marked by the Beast

Postby DB7878 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:40 pm

I can relate. If we had gotten that 3rd (maybe 4th, too) season, I would have enjoyed the great story and moved on. Currently, I going thru the episodes (and movie) transcribing key dialogue and looking for hints and evidence of what the writers were planning for the future seasons. There's a surprising amount, but only in broadest sweeps - a lot of speculative guesswork is required.

I've put some of key points about the third season into this post dated March 18th for Episode 203 'Ghost Story' here:
http://forums.syfy.com/index.php?showtopic=2330569&st=20

Speculation warning (Spoilers aren't an issue since anyone reading this has probably seen the series and movie at least once)

With all the turmoil surrounding Fuller's exit early in S1 the plotting got thrown out of its intended groove. In particular, after Fuller and his character Betty got removed Godchaux and Masius brought in a new character, Daisy, and then gave her a lot of screen time probably displacing some more important time that might have been better spent on Rube and his backstory.

G&M also seem to need the rest of S1 to get their own priorities for plotting settled, because by S2 we can see a steady course and direction in the larger plots re-established.

There are three primary plot lines or themes established from the beginning - 1) George and her reaction to her predicament i.e. dying at an inconveniently young age 2) George's interactions with her family (primarily Reggie) and her family's reaction to her death, and 3) the interdependent destinies in the relationship between Rube and George. The third one was suppressed relative to the first two during the first season.

When Fuller left the first two got carried forward adequately enough, but the third was left adrift during the rest of the first season. But in S2, in particular, episode 205 'Hurry' we get the big reveal - when Rube gets the dead letter returned to him 77 years after he sent it to Rosie, his daughter - and this tells a lot about how to interpret or re interpret everything we seen in the earlier episodes (about reapers and how they relate to the Powers That Be (PTB), and the relationship between Rube and George) and puts us deep into that third theme revolving around the intertwined destinies of Rube and George.

The movie, for all its flaws, was written by G&M and I believe has some important clues about what was to come in future seasons (admittedly they're buried a bit deep).

First they didn't' have the Rube character and that all important (really 'all important' because that third theme regarding Rube and George while dependent on the first two is actually the most important of the three and would have dominated the 3rd season) third leg of the three was entirely missing. However, what they did show regarding the first two themes IMO gives a clue as to how the third might have played out.

Second they didn't have control over production (as they did with the series) so the final product they might have shown us probably fell short of what they would have done.

What we did see is that George and Reggie got to have a 'final' talk. That talk was probably planned as the end point for the 2nd main theme from the very beginning pilot. What the movie showed us is that Reggie played the more active role in bringing it about pushing George beyond boundaries she had come to accept - as taught by Rube.

In S2 we saw a rapidly maturing Reggie gaining in confidence and slowly gathering evidence about George. In many scenes even tho she doesn't the know the details she interprets events correctly i.e. she getting closer to the truth.

For example, when JD dies and JF shows up she knows / guesses correctly that George left the frog. Another example, in the final episode when Joy and she are discussing costumes for Halloween, Reggie correctly points out that ghosts (George) are walking about looking normally. Or another that comes to mind is we on occasion see George phone home without saying anything just to hear her family's voices. This irritates Joy, but from Reggie's comments we know she believes correctly, that it's George calling. From Charlie, the pet reaper, she learns that he seems to know George as in the here and now. The trajectory of all this is that Reggie would have been the active agent in a 3rd season forcing a meeting one way or another between Reggie and George.

This meeting does occur in the movie. What was missing is how it fit into the third theme - George and Rube - which was unfortunately (because we never got to see how it ended) the best and most intriguing relationship of the series.

In S2 notice how usually toward the end of each episode there's a face to face with George and Rube.

In 201 'Send in the Clown' it's confrontational as Rube oddly tries to get George to turn down a modest promotion even as Roxy's much bigger one is just fine.

In 202 'The Ledger' Rube consoles George as she struggles with learning her parents are getting a divorce.

In 203 'Ghost Story' it's George fitting in with the whole reaper gang.

In 204 'The Shallow End' this gets skipped.

But in 205 'Hurry' we again have the two face to face. This time it's Rube still devastated at having received the dead letter earlier that day and trying to deal with the implications of what therefore happened 77 year prior. George has no idea what the letter or the cash is about in detail, but she can see its impact on Rube and she is now consoling him.

George doesn't know about the letter and what events transpired 77 years prior. At this point we know a lot more than George. Rube didn't know that his family didn't receive the money/letter implying something seriously threatening persuaded him to completely stay away from his wife and daughter. He seems to have thought he cleverly fooled the PTB in getting the money to his family. But the PTB diverted the letter/cash and deliberately waited 77 years and then deliberately gave it back to him. They could have given it back in one week. Or they could have waited until after he passed on in which case he would have remained blissfully ignorant (as he was for 77 years) that it failed to arrive.

This letter is a big fact which forces us to reexamine / reinterpret the prior S1 and S2 events in particular how the PTB interact with the reapers and the living.

Whatever it was that was so dangerous that it persuaded Rube to stay completely away from his family (who were likely in desperate straits) is also potentially threatening to George and her interactions with her family (i.e. Reggie). It probably explains the seriously over the top reactions that Rube had in the early episodes whenever George went near her family.

It's likely that George being placed under Rube's care so near her family was also done deliberately by the PTB. The confrontations over her haunting her family clearly by this time in S2 are having an effect on Rube, and it's revealed by the end of S2 when he breaks rules he previously held as sacrosanct to find and go meet his daughter that George (and that letter) has had a huge impact on Rube.

The intriguing point in the story to note is that it's clear that both placing George with Rube and returning the dead letter to him were choices taken by the PTB that could only disturb his long developed equilibrium - the established groove he had settled into - and provoke him in directions that seem contradictory - we're always made to understand that Rube and PTB don't want the undead to contact their former living relatives. So why did they take these steps?

Coming back to Reggie.....it's seems clear that George will not go seek out her family directly (see last episode of S2 when she has taken on the her former living appearance and asks Rube what's to stop her from going up to front door and asking Reggie for a KitKat or whatever). Because even with the option in front of her she chooses not to. It's likely that in the third season we (and George) would have learned via flashbacks what happened to Rube and his family, and we (and she) would understand why she needs to be very careful about certain boundaries. She will not choose to put her family into danger, just as Rube refused to do some 77 years before.

However, Reggie knows none of this. She's pursuing a mystery and will thru-out S2 and probably would have into S3 continue to pursue a deeper understanding of the who, what, how, and why of her sister's continued presence here among the living. She can't know of the danger (by definition knowing the real reasons probably would be over the boundary) and therefore can't choose not to pursue the path she's set upon.

That means it was likely that the S3 Reggie would have been the trip wire bringing the collision about of George and Reggie, and Rube's backstory would have made it clear just how high the stakes were / how dangerous their getting together could be.

Speculation is the formation of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence. The above is big chunk of speculation, but absent someone from inside the writing DLM with knowledge of the 3rd season plot plans, it's the best I can come up with - so far.

IcyDelight
Helps Constance save a cow

Postby IcyDelight » Sun May 04, 2014 2:11 pm

DB7878 wrote:I can relate. If we had gotten that 3rd (maybe 4th, too) season, I would have enjoyed the great story and moved on. Currently, I going thru the episodes (and movie) transcribing key dialogue and looking for hints and evidence of what the writers were planning for the future seasons. There's a surprising amount, but only in broadest sweeps - a lot of speculative guesswork is required.

I have to admire your dedication.

Yes, if we had three or four seasons of DLM it would have been easier to move on from the series. For a while I never thought I could let it go, but was at last was able to let it rest. We got two good years of a terrific series that should have lived on, but may have been doomed from the beginning. What with Brian abandoning the series, Sony purchasing MGM, a new program director, hints of discord in the crew, ets. perhaps we are lucky to get those two years. Many potentially good series have been cut down in their first year.

October 31 of this year will be the 10th anniversary of its final episode. Hard to believe it has been that long.

DLM RIP.

DB7878
Marked by the Beast

Postby DB7878 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:23 pm

The PTB are at work here, IcyD!

It's kind of you to use the word dedication. It's probably more honestly put down to obsession.

Anyway, regarding my attempts to tease out that 3rd season plot outline - that was an utter failure.

However, a funny thing happened on my way to the light. Last year as my episode by episode review was nearing an end, someone, possibly you wrote in another forum about the Memory rule abuse in the Movie. I tried writing a scene in which the meeting between George and Reggie happens and we get some of that emotional energy they attempted in the Movie, but without breaking that sacred rule put down by Fuller. And lo and behold I did it. The writing wasn't so good. I am not a writer after all, but it just wasn't that hard. So the mystery remains. How that Movie.... Anyway. As I finished reviewing the last few episodes ideas kept coming to me about what happened both before and after that key scene. LSS I just finished a novel, fan fiction (= no money so no lawsuits please - the obsession thing), most of which is posted at this link - or a link I will provide below.

Some comments, warnings actually, or just skip to the bottom.

The first is that I don't spend a lot of time explaining details from the series. After combing thru those episodes I got most 'set-ups' and used them somewhere in the story. If you do not remember who Fred Swirsky is, or Desiree, then you might want to go back and rewatch the DVD's. Trip is back. Charlotte returns. Daisy and Mason evolve in ways both hinted at and not in the last few episodes.

The second is that - and thank god they don't burn heretics at the stake anymore - or do they? - when I started filling out a plot outline I ran into a problem. The DLM Universe in those two seasons doesn't actually work. This became obvious when the old characters and the new ones were put into motion. So I had to renovate the DLM Universe, radically, probably offending those very people who did pay attention and remember all those details. Sorry. And yes I'm a hypocrite in view of some of my postings easily found around here somewhere.

The base time line picks up in October of 2013. Reggie is 22. However, the first scene of the book opens in the year 2113 on the day George attends Reggie's funeral. Before getting to 2013 the book continues with several background events from 1927. How did Lucy and Rosie end up in Seattle? Did Rube haunt them? Where did Rube get the cash and why and how did he send it? Why did he not know that Rosie never received it? What kind of guy was that reaper who ....reaped Betty's posterior? And this was tricky but why and how did Rosie recognize her Papa when she saw him just before she died?

I've written one aspect of DLM that's so likable is that it doesn't have the flashier aspects of most TV shows. Well, it's also true that ratings need to attract an audience - numbers. So I tried to keep what's good (subjective of course) about DLM and add some shiny parts. So you will find that for every question answered two more will pop up. So I've moved forward the arcs concerning the Rube/George/Reggie triangle in unexpected ways. There's a new triangle - 'new character'/ George/Reggie that is planted with this book.

IcyD you may remember that in an early interview EMuth said that her character was special and in the first few Fuller episodes there was something hinted at and got dropped after he left. I reexamined that and it becomes a core arc in the story here.

Go to the May 1st 2014 posting in this thread - after the episode comments and summaries and chapter one 'The Beginning at the End' can be found. There are 88 chapters in total for this first book.

http://forums.syfy.com/index.php?showtopic=2330569&page=4

I was so frustrated for so long not knowing how the story went forward. And like Dorothy I had the answer all along. I wrote it myself.
Last edited by DB7878 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IcyDelight
Helps Constance save a cow

Postby IcyDelight » Sun May 11, 2014 6:58 pm

DB, writing your own conclusion sounds like a good way to bring some closure to the series and your approach of resolving inconsistencies makes a lot of sense. We had discussed many of those issues back it the DLMO days. I will have to check out your link.

Did you ever watch Brian Fuller's TV series, Pushing Daisies? While the whole premise of Ned's strange ability, and its crazy rules, made little sense, I will have to admit it was consistent. If only DLM could have maintained that level of consistency.

As for a resurrection of the DLM series it seems like its time has passed. DLM lead the pack of the "afterlife" TV series that ensued like Ghost Whisperer, Medium, Reaper, etc. In more recent time, however, those show have been replaced with stories about vampires, zombies, fairy tale characters, etc. It may be some time before reapers, as we know them, are welcome back. If DLM comes back it will most likely be a reboot with a new cast and possibly better consistency. To us, though it just won't be the same.

DB7878
Marked by the Beast

Postby DB7878 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:28 pm

DB, writing your own conclusion sounds like a good way to bring some closure to the series and your approach of resolving inconsistencies makes a lot of sense. We had discussed many of those issues back it the DLMO days. I will have to check out your link.

No closure sorry to say. Answer one question and more pop up.

There are some deeply embedded 'inconsistencies' that only really came to the surface for me when I rethought thru the rules canon. This need became obvious once I had characters moving outside the events of the first two seasons. For example, it's hinted at many times how this or that is dangerous. Daisy (yes, Daisy) warning George how dangerous her little fling with Trip could be. Then Mason at the reception when she uses her real name. But - maybe because it's more comedy than not - they never show us why it's dangerous. I had to build that danger into the revised canon and do it in a way that doesn't contradict the first two seasons.

Did you ever watch Brian Fuller's TV series, Pushing Daisies? While the whole premise of Ned's strange ability, and its crazy rules, made little sense, I will have to admit it was consistent. If only DLM could have maintained that level of consistency.

Fuller is a master a creating modern story set up mythologies. In PD Ned can raise the dead with a touch. If he touches a second time they die 'again' and he cannot raise them again. So, of course, he raises from the dead his soul mate, who he then co-habits with and can never touch. That's the essence of the series. If Ned ever touches her and for some episode contrivance they change that rule, the series is over.

In Fuller's DLM reapers can never go back. They die and then can't talk to their former living relatives or friends about that past life. They look different and to prove who they are they would have to reveal some shared memory, but in Fuller's mythological set up if they attempt that they will lose the memory. In DLM one young girl, contrary to all the other reapers - but one, is placed after death within walking distance of her family. That inability to share common memories from life is DLM's core rule canon, which is why it was so unacceptable in the Movie when George and Reggie talked over shared very specific memories from when George was alive.

In the story I put together I use all the set up details that Fuller and G&M put in place and preserve that core mythology on the memory barrier. I had to renovate the supporting DLM universe details. The early chapters are devoted to Rube's background. What he did when he got to Seattle vs his family. Most of the revised rules come out in the action early on, but some are explained outright in 1927 when Rube's boss, Seamore, sits him, Penny, and Marsha down in front of the fireplace in his house and explains what they need to know to be a reaper and to collect souls. Charles Seamore died early in the Civil War and he uses his experiences to school his new reapers on what they need to know and it tells the reader some of the boundaries to reaping that just never came out in the calm world of 2003/4 Seattle of the series.

As for a resurrection of the DLM series it seems like its time has passed. DLM lead the pack of the "afterlife" TV series that ensued like Ghost Whisperer, Medium, Reaper, etc. In more recent time, however, those show have been replaced with stories about vampires, zombies, fairy tale characters, etc. It may be some time before reapers, as we know them, are welcome back. If DLM comes back it will most likely be a reboot with a new cast and possibly better consistency. To us, though it just won't be the same.

I'm getting finicky in my old age I suspect. I can't watch a lot of what's on TV. I liked certain aspects of DLM. In this book I've posted I signal right up front in the first chapter that the story is about this relationship between two sisters - one alive and the other undead. That first and the last chapter take place on the day of Reggie's funeral in 2113. It's an answer that raises more questions. How did they get together? This first book details the events in 2013 that triggered the collision / the meeting and the soon after events.

While there is obviously some serious supernatural manipulations going on both in the series and this book the details are never made clear.

In addition to providing some further plot evolution to this story one goal is to demonstrate how that Fuller original essence, and that low key story telling style (not explaining or escalating everything) developed by G&M could be combined with more visually appealing twists (that arise from the revised rules canon). In this book people die, reapers get shot, and there is a chase scene (altho....it's not like any chase scene ever filmed).

My revised canon mostly is not so far from what was hinted at in the series but was just never developed. For example, we saw Mason get shot in the head in an early episode and then Roxy shot him where it must have really hurt. George got her finger cut off once and reattached it with out much fuss. How and when can that happen?

I took all those details and set up facts and in trying to figure out how they might have fit together in some 3rd season came up with a story that does fit. Fred Swirsky plays a key role as does his girlfriend Desiree. Mason's drunken confession to them that he was grim reaper lay dormant for 10 years but eventually come out and both play key roles helping Reggie to get back on the trail of her sister.

Trip is back. Charlotte returns - she's in the first chapter, i.e. she is with George in 2113 and attends Reggie's funeral with her.

George stops haunting her sister and family, but her sloppiness in using her George name comes back to bite her.

Modern technology - security cameras - catches reapers going about their business and raises suspicions of a young detective who notices that George and that red classic mustang of hers often are at the locations of violent deaths. He's tracking a serial killer. The reapers have to collect the souls of each and every victim.

In one of the last episodes G&M hand us the key to a partial understanding of the Daisy character, but only part. Why does Daisy alternate between liking small kids and running away from them? Both behaviors are shown. In those last episodes she was warming up to Mason, who when he thought his last day was upon him took what money he could get and bought Daisy an engagement ring, something that symbolizes her own lost dream cut off by her early death. Daisy cherishes that ring. After the producer is dead and gone, it's that dream attached to the ring we see hinted at in the final few episodes.

In an early interview EM hinted that her character was supposed to be special vs other reapers. Near the end we saw George dust Ray, the producer, the Rayling. IcyD you pointed out in that episode we saw George get a postit, but she did not reap anyone - except of course the graveling. Mason was asleep when she did it. In the book, it turns out to be a very special talent that Rube told her to keep quiet. Neither Rube nor George told other reapers what she could do. She has to use that talent again later in the book and the secret comes out and its significance to other reapers becomes partially understood.

In an early S1 episode George refuses to reap some poor guy who gets stuck in his body. Rube, Roxy, and George go to the morgue and she does let the guy out (and Rube threatens her). What would happen in the DLM Universe if no reaper showed up and left a soul stuck in their body and they were buried that way and forgotten? It's why you get the creepy crawlies when you walk through an old forgotten graveyard. Zombie ghosts anyone?

Scratchit

Postby Scratchit » Fri May 16, 2014 7:38 am

Hi DB7878

Started reading though your episodes. Very good!!

Must admit I'm a little obsessed with DLM and Ellen in particular. I live in England and don't ever remember seeing any of Ellen's stuff over here until I came across DLM on Netflix along with The Truth About Jane. I have since obtained 'Monsoon', the Superfire Episode and Two Against Time. I watched the DLM, Life After Death movie, not as good as I would have liked but gave us another chance to see Ellen on screen again if nothing else.

I'm pretty ancient now being a pensioner but I have to say in all my years I've not seen any actress with so much talent. Dunno what happened and why she has not been constantly on screen. Maybe she picks and chooses which would explain her long absences.

Obviously there is never going to be another DLM, it was unique. They would only spoil the memory if they tried to copy it with different actors.

Keep up the good work.
Drunken Fools Have Wide Ears and Long Tongues

DB7878
Marked by the Beast

Postby DB7878 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Must admit I'm a little obsessed with DLM and Ellen in particular. I live in England and don't ever remember seeing any of Ellen's stuff over here until I came across DLM on Netflix along with The Truth About Jane. I have since obtained 'Monsoon', the Superfire Episode and Two Against Time. I watched the DLM, Life After Death movie, not as good as I would have liked but gave us another chance to see Ellen on screen again if nothing else.

I'm pretty ancient now being a pensioner but I have to say in all my years I've not seen any actress with so much talent. Dunno what happened and why she has not been constantly on screen. Maybe she picks and chooses which would explain her long absences.

I liked 'Monsoon' and 'Two Against Time' was very good, too.

Don't know why EM hasn't done more. It seems that transition from a successful childhood and teen career can be difficult. Most seem unable to make it. Check out number 9 at this link:

http://filmschoolrejects.com/features/9-talented-underused-actors.php

Obviously there is never going to be another DLM, it was unique. They would only spoil the memory if they tried to copy it with different actors.

The DLM (those two seasons) isn't coming back. It's possible that some different version might work, but unlikely. But let's pray they ease up on the vampires already.

Scratchit

Postby Scratchit » Sat May 17, 2014 4:03 am

Hi DB7878

Did you get to watch the Hannibal episodes with Ellen as a guest? I must admit I'm not into that kind of 'Horror' stuff so will not be watching it. Hope she did well. Do you reckon that the two episodes could Kick Start Ellen's career? The creator of DLM, Pushing Daisies etc. seems to bring back quite a few of his stars from time to time.

As much as l like Anna Friel, ("Being british and all") :D Ellen would have been ideal for that role too. Mind you that was also 'S&@t Canned' after a couple of seasons wasn't it?

Cheers

Hokie
Site Admin

Postby Hokie » Sat May 17, 2014 10:42 am

DB7878 wrote:The DLM (those two seasons) isn't coming back. It's possible that some different version might work, but unlikely. But let's pray they ease up on the vampires already.

Unfortunately shows like DLM have a limited life with the original cast since reapers do not age but actors do.

Bryan Fuller wrote:It was originally going to be a spin off of Dead Like Me. The second season arc was going to play like this: George was going to find out that somebody was swiping her souls and she wasn't able to stop them.

How would that work? People are reaped before they die so when they die the soul leaves their body. I assume when Ned touches the dead the soul pops back in? What if the soul already got its lights?
George: So, my whole life, everything, all I get to keep are thoughts and memories?
Rube: That's all we ever have peanut.

DB7878
Marked by the Beast

Postby DB7878 » Sat May 17, 2014 1:57 pm

I saw the Hannibal episodes with Ellen. It's classy move by Fuller to boost careers of those who worked with him in his old series. I hope it works. DLM was my first exposure to EM and I thought she was great. I found the series in 2006 i.e. a latecomer and was surprised to learn she hadn't done much more after that. Acting seems to be a degree or two more stressful than most other occupations.

In 2006 I met EM at a convention and very cleverly spontaneously asked to interview her for the EM website that predated this one. My ulterior motive was to see if there was any DLM project in the works. I was well aware that asking such a thing directly she would have to say no, but being twice her age.... Well, she cleverly just said no. It turns out there was in fact a project in the works - the Movie - which was filmed in 2007.

That Movie should have been the pathway to some rebooted version of DLM, or at least a nice boost to her acting career. But after they made it MGM didn't release it until 2009. And it had problems - nothing to do with EM's acting abilities.

It must be frustrating to be the exec in charge of this franchise at MGM. The guy took what resources he had and did everything he could and did it right and it still failed. The budget was very tight in order to avoid triggering certain union rules I heard. Anyway, the guy picked the right writers - Godchaux and Masius. They oversaw DLM after Fuller was forced out, and they wrote the last four episodes of S2. They picked a director with a reasonable success record. Oh well.

As to her career. I don't know her or what she's been doing and if I did I wouldn't have a clue. Fate is fickle. Check out IMDB for where the main actors from DLM are these days.

Bryan Fuller wrote:
It was originally going to be a spin off of Dead Like Me. The second season arc was going to play like this: George was going to find out that somebody was swiping her souls and she wasn't able to stop them.

I've read this interview way back then. I think Fuller was traumatized by his forceful ejection from DLM in part for not listening to the people who were providing the money to make it. So in the run up to Pushing Daisies he bent too far the other way in attempting to rope in his DLM fans to watch his PD project. The assertion of a planned connection between DLM and PD is absurd. Let's put together a special featuring the cast of Gilligan's Island and The Munsters. Or how about Star Wars and Star Trek?

Hokie, I agree that shows like DLM (with characters that don't age) have limited life. But the problem is manageable. Most series have limited life and it's possible IMO to structure them up front to manage the risks. For example, again IMO, the Reggie character should have been much older from the pilot - within a year or two of the main character Georgia. The Charlie character was a risky move. If DLM had gone into a 3 and 4th season that kid would have been unusable within a year and for sure two.

In the posted book - DLM Rebooted 2013 - as you may guess from the title I've reworked some of the rules canon. It started as a test to write something that did not break the memory rules and I ended up reworking a lot of other rules. I did that because as much as I liked the original the fact is it was cancelled after only two seasons. So this book project has become a personal project to come up with something that keeps what I liked about the original and integrates into a reworked rebooted version new aspects that hopefully would be more attractive to a wider audience.

This first book is mostly set up. The revised rules canon is in place. The memory rules are preserved. As far as my writing skills allow the original characters have been preserved (altho evolving changing - both George and Daisy in particular), but the canon has been changed in ways to encourage more action of a visual nature. I try to keep the action unique to or arising directly out of the unique rules of the revised DLM universe.

In the next book my goal is to show the continued set up and progress of the 100 year arc set up in the first - the relationship growing between the two sisters and the supporting characters - and to demonstrate how procedural episodic story lines could fit in. The fact is that scripted TV today globally is based on one hour (40 minutes) of a self contained story usually some sort of procedural. The original DLM had this - had to have this - and all the episodes have some self contained drama playing out over the episode while the really important arcs had very little on screen time but linked the episodes and characters.

In this first book the character John Merryweather, a homicide detective, is looking for a serial killer working the Seattle area. He will be central going forward contributing episodic self contained story lines. Like Reggie he follows an evidence trail, which at each step seems reasonable, and he does so unaware of the danger and fate he is committing himself to. Roxy tries to deflect him, but ultimately sees that there's something larger at work. His free will is preserved. At each step he is given choices and with each step he is brought closer to the reapers. He begins by tracking George and ends up working with her to retrieve a rogue reaper in Los Angeles.

Scratchit

Postby Scratchit » Sun May 18, 2014 3:52 am

The assertion of a planned connection between DLM and PD is absurd.

Got to agree with this. They are as different as chalk and cheese. I got the first series of 'Daisies' from iTunes a few weeks back, mainly because it was conceived by Bryan Fuller and wanted to see some of his other work. Not too bad and quite comical in places. The plot tends to be very repartitious however, with not the variety of plot that was used in DLM.

I found the series in 2006 i.e. a latecomer

Only found DLM this year so I'm a bit behind you! :shock: Mind you we do tend to be a bit behind here in UK :(

There are some deeply embedded 'inconsistencies' that only really came to the surface for me when I rethought thru the rules canon. This need became obvious once I had characters moving outside the events of the first two seasons. For example, it's hinted at many times how this or that is dangerous. Daisy (yes, Daisy) warning George how dangerous her little fling with Trip could be. Then Mason at the reception when she uses her real name. But - maybe because it's more comedy than not - they never show us why it's dangerous. I had to build that danger into the revised canon and do it in a way that doesn't contradict the first two seasons.

I get what you are saying but I think the show was meant to be a very light hearted, you are right about it being 'more comedy than not'. There was never really any serious blood or gore, George never did get round to buying a 'Slicker' :D The way some of the 'Reapings' died was also quite comical.

Anyway, enjoyed it while it lasted and just hope Ellen can get more screen time in future.

Edit to fix quote tags - Hokie

DB7878
Marked by the Beast

Postby DB7878 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:28 pm

I get what you are saying but I think the show was meant to be a very light hearted, you are right about it being 'more comedy than not'. There was never really any serious blood or gore, George never did get round to buying a 'Slicker' :D The way some of the 'Reapings' died was also quite comical.

Anyway, enjoyed it while it lasted and just hope Ellen can get more screen time in future.

From the beginning they bent over backwards to keep it light, which is why there are gravelings IMO. They go out of their way to make sure the audience knows the reapers don't kill anyone. It was also clear thru-out S1 that the arcs were working at two levels. The arcing got more complicated or maybe more subtle - the hints weren't that complex or difficult but G&M aren't concerned with making sure everyone got the plot twists going on - in S2 and for me the scenes dealing with the cash filled enveloped in 'Hurry' forced a new level of appreciation for where the story was going.

Re: Ellen screen time.... There's no doubt she can act. So why so little screen time? Maybe her early successes came too easily and didn't prepare her for harsh realties of LA/Hollywood.

Return to “Q and A with Ellen”